Tuesday 1 March 2011


I know I've blogged about this subject before but animal testing is a cruel and pointless pursuit and it really makes me angry.

A few months ago I realised that I wasn't actually very sure which cosmetic brands did and didn't test their products/ ingredients on animals. So I did some research online.

I found out, to my utter disgust, that a lot of companies test on animals and then just flat out lie about it. For example, a company may print on their cosmetics "Company A does not test on animals", but what you don't know is that they just use another company to do their testing for them. You'd think that would be illegal but clearly there's a loophole somewhere. And even if it says that the product isn't tested on animals, that doesn't mean that some of the ingredients aren't either.


The point of the blog is that today I went make up shopping specifically to find products that weren't tested on animals and managed very easily to get everything I needed. Between Marks & Spencer, Superdrug and Asda there's nothing I struggled to find.

All of these companies (as well as a couple of online stores) are against animal testing and while Superdrug still sells brands that do test on animals (Rimmel, Pantene, Palmolive etc) their own brand products are fine and are mostly suitable for vegetarians and vegans. (It will always tell you on the back of the product if it is NOT tested on animals. If it doesn't say anything chances are it IS).

Marks & Spencer's stuff is BUAV approved which means none of it is tested on animals.

What angers me is that people generally don't have a clue that this goes on and if they do hear about it they just ignore it. There are so many major brands that test on animals. Why is this allowed to happen?

I really wish people would get a conscience and only buy BUAV approved and non animal tested products. It's not like they're difficult to get hold of. I can't actually believe something so sick and inhumane is still allowed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment