Thursday 2 September 2010


Lately I've become very tired of all the music that's on my ipod. I really need some new bands to get excited about because I never really get as excited about music as I used to. I think one of the main problems is that bands and artists lately don't seem to have all that much to say.

I've been told on several occasions that I'm a pretty opinionated person. In fact the last time someone said that to me was just a few hours ago! And I suppose I am.

I've always believed that music is an extremely powerful way to get an opinion across and I think it's an incredible way to have your say without being too forceful with your views. I miss bands that have something to say.

If you know me well enough you'll know that I'm a bit of a feminist and years ago all of my favourite bands were also of this persuasion. Bands like Bikini Kill, Bratmobile, L7 and Le Tigre all had a huge effect on my musical tastes and as a result I began reading up on feminism and other similar ideas.

And it's not just feminism that music has encouraged me to consider. A few years ago I was really into punk (and still am to an extent) and bands like NOFX, Strike Anywhere and Propagandhi also made me look at society in a different way and question the scructure and reasoning behind the way society runs.

To sum up, music has generally helped me shape my personality and beliefs. Feminism, animal rights, inequality and politics are some of the important issues I've been pointed towards in some way or another.

I think it's a shame there aren't more bands out there who are playing for a cause rather than fame and money. I'd like to see it for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment